Quest Outreach Society is looking for the newest member of our Grocery Market Team. As Interim Market Manager at Quest Outreach Society, you will bring management and/or grocery experience to help support market operations at one of our five Lower Mainland Grocery Markets. If you’re an organized and driven individual, and carry a passion for food security, then this is the job for you!
Quest Outreach Society exists to disrupt the cycle of poverty through access to healthy and affordable food. By bridging the gap between food banks and traditional grocery stores, Quest provides a grocery experience based on principles of dignity, access and sustainability. Quest believes in a grocery model that simultaneously supports community while reducing greenhouse gas emissions. A leader in redistribution, we work to actively redirect healthy, good food that would otherwise end up in the landfill and contribute to greenhouse gas emissions. Almost all of Quest’s food is donated by local food partners from across British Columbia and delivered across our five Lower Mainland markets at reduced cost to our client communities. Quest’s five grocery markets are located in Burnaby, Surrey, North Vancouver, East Vancouver and the Downtown Eastside.
Under the leadership of Quest’s Director of Food Logistics, you will support the application of the organization’s guiding management principles:
- Take care of our people.
- Get the right product at the right time to our clients.
- Create safe and beautiful spaces.
- Recognize our supporters.
- Be recognized as leading experts in food security.
Reporting to the Director of Food Logistics, Interim Market Managers are responsible for:
Staffing, Training & Recruitment:
- Responsible for the hiring, onboarding, training and supervision of market staff
- Responsible for Occupational Health and Safety at the grocery market
- Responsible for staff behavior and actions in the grocery market and escalating situations to senior management when required
- Responsible for market staff scheduling, vacation and absence management
- Conducts performance evaluations of all market staff with support from the Director of Food Logistics
- Prepares incident reports as required
- Ensures market staff work as a team in an effective and productive manner
- Actively demonstrates compassionate leadership and carries a confident understanding of Quest Client communities
- Ensures all market staff follow and adhere to Quest Policies and Standard Operating Procedures
- Ensures effective lines of communication with Distribution Centre, other Grocery Markets and Head Office
- Schedules, trains, supervises and supports volunteers of the organization
- Ensures all volunteers follow and adhere to Quest Policies and Standard Operating Procedures
- Greets and welcomes all Quest clients
- Facilitates client shopping including explanation, demonstration and assistance
- Suggests products, points out specials, brings attention to promotions and sales
- Supports and facilitates client referrals and client card renewals
- Oversees the process and issuance of Quest Client Cards to eligible clients
- Works to resolve any issues clients may bring forward, understands when to escalate to senior management
Financial Management & Pricing:
- Receives money and makes accurate change
- Completes documentation, gives receipts and provides documentation for payment
- Tallies daily shopping totals and provides documentation of payment to Accounting
- Understands Quest policies and procedures for each type of payment Quest accepts
- Submits daily transactions and documentation
- Responsible for daily bank deposits
- Ensures all Market paperwork is sent daily to Head Office
- Trouble-shoots financial and/or transaction-related problems and issues
- Ensures product pricing inquiries are forwarded to Distribution Center
- Ensures Quest pricing is followed as directed by the Director of Food Logistics
- Creates new signage and labelling as required
- Works with Market staff to ensure market is free of packaging, boxes, pallets etc.
- Ensures produce, bread, freezer, fridge and shelf displays are full and clean
- Ensures Market is swept, mopped and clear of debris
- Ensures shopping baskets, bags and other items are available
- Ensures Market is an accessible and supportive environment for both staff and clients
- Ensures Market is free of pests, reporting any evidence of activity to the Director of Food Logistics
- Maintains and implements a regular sanitation schedule
Food Safety & Display of Product:
- Actively leads and oversees sorting and refreshing of produce display throughout the day
- Ensures first in first out food rotation is performed daily upon receiving product
- Ensures temperature log is maintained on an hourly/daily basis
- Monitors Best-Before-Dates and ensures food is in excellent condition
- Inspects all packages before stocking and selling to clients
- Monitors and maintains daily/hourly stock levels on shelves
- Actively leads and oversees arrangement of stock in visually appealing, functional and accessible ways
- Follows stock levels and communicates transfers to the Distribution Center Coordinator
Leadership & Reporting:
- Maintains Compost Log and tracks compost volumes
- Keeps daily log of client transactions including revenue
- Maintains daily database of market activity
- Maintains and tracks new client referrals including digital and hard copy
- Forwards all client comments and feedback to Senior Management
- Identifies challenges or barriers and makes suggestions for improvement
- Reports on Occupation Health and Safety issues to Head Office
- Tracks number of volunteers and volunteer hours
Special Promotion Development & Implementation
- Presents ideas to facilitate the promotion of Market products
- Presents new ideas for signage, displays and product presentation
- Carries out approved initiatives and promotions
- Participates in training and workshop opportunities as required and directed by Quest Senior Management
- Undertakes special projects as required
Required Skills and Experience:
- 3-5 years retail management experience (food or grocery industry experience is ideal)
- Excellent organizational, time management and analytical skills
- A team player with strong interpersonal skills and an ability to interact effectively with team members and the general public
- Effective written & verbal communication skills
- Able to meet deadlines and manage stressful situations
- Able to work and manage a team
- Able to lift 25 lbs. repeatedly
- Post-secondary education or training that supports the skills and expertise required
- Prior certification in safe food handling, operating pallet jacks and other equipment
Compensation & Commitment
This is a full-time interim position with an end date of April 30, 2024, with the possibility of extension and is based at our Downtown Eastside Hasting Market.
The hourly rate for this role is $22.00. This role also includes a phone stipend, and vacation pay to be paid out on each pay cheque at the percentage required under the employment standards legislation.
Please include the following in an email with the subjecting heading: “Quest Interim Market Manager” to Quest’s Manager of Human Resources, Diana Pemberton at [email protected]
- Your resume
- In an email or cover letter, in approximately 200 words or less, describe your management experience and interest in working with Quest
If there are any accommodations that we can provide to make our hiring process more accessible for you, or if you have any ideas for improving our hiring process, please reach out to us at [email protected] directly. We’d be happy to do our best to set you up for success.
We appreciate the effort of all applicants. Please note that only candidates selected for an initial interview will be contacted. Qualified candidates who submit their application ahead of the deadline may be contacted sooner for an initial interview.
We recognize the importance of a diverse workforce and encourage applications from Indigenous people, women, LGBTQIA+ people, people of colour and people with disabilities.
Thank you for your interest in working with Quest!