Quest Outreach Society is looking for the newest member of our Logistics Team. As Quest’s Manager of Food Logistics, your role will be to support the Director of Food Logistics and coordination of all products moving through our warehouses into our Grocery Markets. If you consider yourself a strong communicator and team player who loves to work with systems in service to efficiency, then this is the job for you!
Quest Outreach Society exists to disrupt the cycle of poverty through access to healthy and affordable food. By bridging the gap between food banks and traditional grocery stores, Quest provides a grocery experience based on principles of dignity, access, and sustainability. Quest believes in a grocery model that simultaneously supports the community while reducing greenhouse gas emissions. A leader in redistribution, we work to actively redirect healthy, good food that would otherwise end up in the landfill and contribute to greenhouse gas emissions. Almost all of Quest’s food is donated by local food partners from across British Columbia and delivered across our five Lower Mainland markets at reduced cost to our client communities. Quest’s five grocery markets are located in Burnaby, Surrey, North Vancouver, East Vancouver, and the Downtown Eastside.
Under the leadership of Quest’s Director of Food Logistics, you will support the application of the organization’s guiding management principles:
- Take care of our people.
- Get the right product at the right time to our clients.
- Create safe and beautiful spaces.
- Recognize our supporters.
- Be recognized as a leading expert in food security.
The Manager of Food Logistics reports to the Director of Food Logistics in all aspects of warehouse operations and works out of the Distribution Centre located at 2020 Dundas Street and is responsible for:
Administration & Operations:
- Review the supply chain network/flow of goods including pickup and delivery routes to ensure efficiencies and optimize donations from partners
- Participate in regular management meetings and directly deal with issues/areas of concern
- Support the development and practice of Quest’s policies, programs and procedures
- Under the direction of Quest’s Director of Food Logistics, provide hands-on assistance with the implementation of new systems that will improve Quests operating efficiency, inventory and business operations
- Participate and support special projects as required in relation to Quest’s Cost Recovery strategies
- Other duties as required including coordination of Holiday Hamper Project and Market moves
Food Logistics, Distribution & Product Management:
- Record and track all food donations into Quest Warehouse Receiving Log
- Enter food donations into the Quest database POS System (LBOSS)
- Ensure Distribution Centre compost is recorded
- Fulfill Food Partner and inventory reports as required
- Ensure warehouse volunteer hours are logged
- Ensure food pick-ups are completed in efficient and cost-effective manner
- Ensure food is culled and sorted in the staging area upon delivery (to prevent spoilage and eliminate waste)
- Ensure Quest pricing strategy is applied to all new products and evaluate goods at the time of receipt against Quest Food Quality policy standards while identifying the percentage of sellable food
- Support Quest’s Repack Strategy
- Provide daily support and food inventory documentation to the Accounting Team
- Work with Market Management to ensure food is properly distributed across markets including oversight of pallet building and that the proper product mix is delivered to markets
- Ensure warehouse meets Health Authority and Occupational Health and Safety Standards
- Oversee warehouse security
- Help secure relationships with suppliers through strong communications
- Ensure quality control across all out-going food products and tracking of all outbound donations
- Oversee disposal of non-consumable food products in an environmentally sound manner
- Oversee recycling of all the paper, plastics and glass products associated with food
Truck, Distribution Center & Equipment Maintenance:
- Ensure that pre trip and post trip vehicle inspection reports are completed daily by drivers
- Ensure trucks, distribution center and associated equipment is maintained to industry standards
- Inform Director of Food Logistics of any maintenance problems with warehouse equipment and, upon authorization, make arrangements for repairs
Supervision of Distribution Centre Employees:
- Provide day-to-day support to Distribution Centre employees
- Manage schedule, absenteeism, vacation, training, orientation and coaching across Distribution Centre
- Liaise with Director of Food Logistics for recruitment needs
- Manage volunteers in Distribution Centre
- With support from Director of Food Logistics, oversee training and certification requirements
- Provide support and leadership on other projects as they arise and as required
- Participate in training and workshop opportunities as required and directed by Quest Senior Management
- Undertake special projects as required
Required Skills & Experience:
- 5 years’ work experience in the area of warehouse and/or distribution and logistics
- People management experience
- Experience with product inventory systems
- Strong understanding of transportation and logistics
- Proficient computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft digital suite of tools
- Food related discipline or food quality safety standards an asset
- Self-starter with excellent written communication skills
- A team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and to tight timelines
- Clean Driver’s abstract with a class 5 license
- Post-Secondary Education in Logistics
- Food Security and/or Non-Profit Work Experience
- Experience managing volunteers
- Electric pallet certification a bonus
Compensation & Commitment
This is a full-time position with Quest. The annual salary range proposed for this role is between $57,000 and $62,000, depending on previous experience and qualifications. This role also includes a competitive benefits package and three weeks paid vacation. This position is based out of Quest Head Office, 2020 Dundas Street in Vancouver, BC.
Proposed Start Date: March 4 2024
Please include the following in an email with the subject heading: “Quest Manager of Food Logistics” to Quest’s HR Manager, Diana Pemberton at [email protected].
- Your resume
- Your cover letter, in approximately 200 words, describing your experience and interest in working with Quest
If there are any accommodations that we can provide to make our hiring process more accessible for you, or if you have any ideas for improving our hiring process, please reach out to us at [email protected] directly. We’d be happy to do our best to set you up for success.
We appreciate the effort of all applicants. Please note that only candidates selected for an initial interview will be contacted. Qualified candidates who submit their application ahead of the deadline may be contacted sooner for an initial interview.
We recognize the importance of a diverse workforce and encourage applications from Indigenous people, women, LGBTQIA+ people, people of colour, and people with disabilities.
Thank you for your interest in working with Quest!