Grocery Market Clerk
Quest Outreach Society is looking for the newest member of our Grocery Market Team. As a Market Clerk at Quest Outreach Society, you will help serve Quest Client Communities and support Grocery Market activities. If you’re a creative and driven individual, and carry a passion for food security, then this is the job for you!
Quest Outreach Society exists to disrupt the cycle of poverty through access to healthy and affordable food. By bridging the gap between food banks and traditional grocery stores, Quest provides a grocery experience based on principles of dignity, access, and sustainability. Quest believes in a grocery model that simultaneously supports community while reducing greenhouse gas emissions. A leader in redistribution, we work to actively redirect healthy, good food that would otherwise end up in the landfill and contribute to greenhouse gas emissions. Almost all of Quest’s food is donated by local food partners from across British Columbia and delivered across our five Lower Mainland markets at reduced cost to our client communities. Quest’s five grocery markets are located in Burnaby, Surrey, North Vancouver, East Vancouver, and the Downtown Eastside.
Under the leadership of the Manager, you will support the application of the organization’s guiding operating principles:
1. Take care of our people.
2. Get the right product at the right time to our clients.
3. Create safe and beautiful spaces.
4. Recognize our supporters.
5. Be recognized as leading experts in food security.
Reporting to the Market Manager, the Market Clerk is responsible for:
• Greet and welcome all Quest clients
• Facilitate client shopping: explain, show, demonstrate, assist
• Suggest products, point out specials, bring attention to promotions and sales
• Tally shopper totals, receive money, and make accurate change
• Complete documentation, give receipts, and provide documentation for payment
• Understand Quest policies and procedures for each type of payment the Market accepts
• Submit daily transaction, money, and documentation
Preparation and Cleanliness of Grocery Market:
• Ensure Market is free of packaging, boxes, pallets etc.
• Ensure the produce, bread, freezer, fridge and shelf displays are full and clean
• Ensure the Market is swept, mopped and clear of debris
• Ensure the shopping baskets, bags and other items are available
• Ensure the area is free of pests, reporting any evidence of activity to the Market Manager
Creating and Maintaining the Food Display:
• Sorting and refreshing the produce display daily
• Arranging and maintaining the shelf display
• Creating presentation and promotional displays as directed
Maintaining the Stock and Display Levels:
• Arranging the stock in visually appealing, functional, and accessible ways
• Maintain and refresh the display stock levels as required
Maintain Current Pricing and Signage:
• Ensure Quest pricing is followed according to what the Market Manager has instructed
• Maintain signage
• Create new signage as required
• Willing to undertake special projects as required
Required Skills and Experience:
• Understanding of Quest’s grocery model
• A team player with excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to interact effectively with the general public
• Able to take direction and initiative
• Excellent time management skills with analytical and decision making abilities
• Able to lift 25 lbs. repeatedly
The following skills are not required, but would be a big benefit:
• Post-secondary education or training that supports the skills and expertise required
• Previous experience in the grocery or retail sector
Compensation & Commitment:
This position is based across Quest’s five grocery market locations including Burnaby, Surrey, North Vancouver, East Vancouver, and the Downtown Eastside. Please indicate in your application if you have a market location preference.
Our hourly offering is $16.20 per hour.
Please include the following in an email with the subject heading: Quest Market Clerk [email protected]
• Your resume
If there are any accommodations that we can provide to make our hiring process more accessible for you, or if you have any ideas for improving our hiring process, please reach out to us at [email protected] directly. We’d be happy to do our best to set you up for success.
Application deadline: Ongoing through 2023
We appreciate the effort of all applicants. Please note that only candidates selected for an initial interview will be contacted.
We recognize the importance of a diverse workforce and encourage applications from Indigenous people, women, LGBTQIA+ people, people of colour, and people with disabilities.
Thank you for your interest in working with Quest!