Quest Outreach Society is looking for the newest member of our Logistics Team, as a Driver and Warehouse Associate. This role is full-time with benefits and involves both three and five ton trucks. If you’re an organized and driven individual who loves to feel like a member of a team doing good work, then this is the job for you!
Quest Outreach Society exists to disrupt the cycle of poverty through access to healthy and affordable food. By bridging the gap between food banks and traditional grocery stores, Quest provides a grocery experience based on principles of dignity, access, and sustainability. Quest believes in a grocery model that simultaneously supports community while reducing greenhouse gas emissions. A leader in redistribution, we work to actively redirect healthy, good food that would otherwise end up in the landfill and contribute to greenhouse gas emissions. Almost all of Quest’s food is donated by local food partners from across British Columbia and delivered across our five Lower Mainland markets at reduced cost to our client communities. Quest’s five grocery markets are located in Burnaby, Surrey, North Vancouver, East Vancouver, and the Downtown Eastside.
Under the leadership of the Director of Food Logistics, you will support the application of the organization’s guiding operating principles:
- Take care of our people.
- Get the right product at the right time to our clients.
- Create safe and beautiful spaces.
- Recognize our supporters.
- Be recognized as leading experts in food security.
The Driver/Warehouse Associate will drive our three- and five-ton trucks. This job entails picking up donations from our Food Partners as well as delivering food to Quest Markets and various community resource partners. When not driving, this position will be working in the Distribution Centre.
Reporting to the Director of Food Logistics, the Driver and Warehouse Associate is responsible for:
Food Deliveries and Pick-ups:
- Plan and carry out food pickups and deliveries efficiently
- Manage communications during work hours regarding additional pickups and deliveries while managing schedule accordingly
- Ensure recurring or routine orders are picked up and delivered consistently and within acceptable time frames
- Ensure products are safely loaded and unloaded at destination points
- Interact with food partners and Quest clients in a courteous and professional manner
Vehicle Safety and Maintenance:
- Keep fuel at adequate levels and fuel up at authorized gas stations as required and provide receipts to Food Logistics Coordinator
- Conduct vehicle safety checks prior to use each day
- Check oil and other fluid levels regularly
- Check tires for damage or excessive wear-and-tear and report to the Food Logistics Coordinator
- Inform Food Logistics Coordinator of any maintenance problems with the vehicle
- Ensure vehicles are driven in a safe manner and in compliance with the Motor Vehicle Act (E.g., wearing seat belts, obeying speed limits, no alcohol or drug use etc.)
- Ensure the vehicle is safely parked and stored at the Quest facility after hours
- Ensure all vehicle keys and radios are left at the Distribution Center at the end of the workday (no valuables left in the vehicle)
- Responsible for keeping interior and exterior of the vehicle clean at all times
Distribution Center (DC) Operations & Product Management:
- Ensure products are safely loaded and unloaded at DC
- Ensure products are stored in a safe and efficient manner
- Work in the DC as required including unpacking and rebuilding pallets for delivery to Markets
- Ensure DC Volunteers are working in a safe and productive manner
- Inventory product received in the DC according to Quests’ inventory management system
- Recommend and implement innovative strategies to expand Quest’s partnership reach in BC, seeking out new opportunities for food products
- Other tasks as related to distribution, warehouse and delivery as required and directed
- Participate in training and workshop opportunities as required and directed by Quest Senior Management
- Willing to undertake special projects as required
Required Skills and Experience:
- High School Diploma
- 1-3 years truck experience driving
- Valid class 5 driver’s license & satisfactory ICBC Driver’s Abstract
- Familiarity with Metro Vancouver streets/routes
- Physical ability to carry out duties of job: must be able to sit for long periods of time and lift up to 50lbs. per carton and 2,000 lbs. per pallet
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Effective interpersonal skills and good communication skills
- Please note that on-the-job training and certification is provided in safe food handling and operating pallet jacks and other equipment
Compensation & Commitment
This is a full-time position with Quest and is based at Quest’s Distribution Centre located at 2020 Dundas Street in Vancouver, BC.
The hourly wage range is between $21.00/hour and $24.00/hour, depending on experience.
Application Deadline: Ongoing
Please include the following in an email with the subject heading “Quest Driver & Warehouse Associate” to Quest’s Director of Food Logistics, Janice Martin, at [email protected]:
- Your resume
- In your email describe your experience and interest in working with Quest
If there are any accommodations that we can provide to make our hiring process more accessible for you, or if you have any ideas for improving our hiring process, please reach out to us at [email protected] directly. We’d be happy to do our best to set you up for success.
We appreciate the effort of all applicants. Please note that only candidates selected for an initial interview will be contacted. Qualified candidates who submit their application ahead of the deadline may be contacted sooner for an initial interview.
We recognize the importance of a diverse workforce and encourage applications from Indigenous people, women, LGBTQIA+ people, people of colour and people with disabilities.
Thank you for your interest in working with Quest!